Air transport supports 56 million jobs and $760 billion in GDP in developing countries. That is 2.2% of all employment and 2.6% of all GDP in developing countries in 2018.
The aviation sector generated an estimated 4.6 million direct jobs in developing countries in 2018, which breaks down into:
- Airlines: 2 million 44% of the total)
- Airport operators:342,000 (7%)
- Other on-airport: 1.95 million (43%)
- Civil aerospace: 166,000 (4%)
- Air navigation service providers: 116,000 (3%)
In 2018 the air transport sector directly generated a $112 billion contribution to GDP, equivalent to the entire GDP of Kazakhstan.