Air transport supports 46 million jobs and $626 billion in GDP in developing countries. That is 1.8% of all employment and 2.2% of all GDP in developing countries in 2016.
The aviation sector generated an estimated 4.3 million direct jobs in developing countries in 2016, which breaks down into:
- Airlines: 1.4 million (33.8% of the total)
- Airport operators: 348,300 (8.1%)
- Other on-airport: 2.1 million (48.3%)
- Civil aerospace: 286,300 (6.7%)
- Air navigation service providers: 132,600 (3.1%)
The air transport sector supported 17.3 million jobs and contributed $320 billion to GDP in the developing countries, including indirect and induced impacts.
Moreover, substantial benefits derived from tourist spending which has added an estimated 28.7 million to employment and $306 billion in GDP.