Air transport supports 46 million jobs and $626 billion in GDP in developing countries.
In 2016, the air transport industry in developing countries directly generated an estimated 4.3 million jobs in the following sub-sectors:
- Airlines: 1.4 million (33.8% of the total)
- Airport operators: 348,300 (8.1%)
- Other on-airport: 2.1 million (48.3%)
- Civil aerospace: 286,300 (6.7%)
- Air navigation service providers: 132,600 (3.1%)
Including indirect and induced impacts, the air transport sector supported 17.3 million jobs and contributed $320 billion to GDP in the developing countries.
Moreover, substantial benefits derived via the catalytic impacts of tourist spending are estimated to have added 28.7 million to employment and $306 billion in GDP.