Did you know?
17,370 unique city-pair routes are served by the world’s airlines, connecting urban and rural communities.
Relevance to aviation
Aviation-related infrastructure is a major part of urban and rural communities worldwide and contributes to the connectivity of populations through integrated transport links. More work is needed on multimodal transport development.
Examples of action
- The Port of Seattle collaborates with airlines, service providers, and the local community to reduce emissions and improve air quality.
- Manchester Airport has developed an overarching Sustainable Development Plan, with a significant section concentrating on access to the airport. By encouraging more use of public transport from the city to the airport to support a transport network that is efficient, convenient, reliable and safe.
- Artisans d’Angkor is a social enterprise run by the operator of Cambodian airports, VINCI airports, aimed at keeping alive Khmer culture and supporting local craftsmen.
- Heathrow supports the sustainability of the city of London through its commitment to its sustainable transport plan.
- Emirates Airlines runs a sustainable transport system in Dubai for airport staff and crew.
Learn more in the Flying in Formation report