April 22, 2019
Southwest Airlines Co. today released the Company's 2018 One Report, an integrated citizenship report highlighting a commitment to the triple bottom line of Performance, People, and Planet. The detailed publication showcases Southwest's three-pronged approach taken to focus on global citizenship, financial performance, and key milestones achieved in 2018.
"As we celebrate Earth Day today, we want to highlight the work our People do every day across the communities where they live and work to make the world a better place for all," said Gary Kelly, Southwest Airlines' Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "Southwest has a great Heart, and a great soul, and it's wonderful that it all comes together as a great business."
2018 One Report highlights include:
- Achieved its 46th consecutive year of profitability
- Served a record 134 million Customers in 2018
- No. 1 Marketing Carrier in Customer Satisfaction per the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)1 data
- Ranked 8th on FORTUNE Magazine's Most Admired Companies in the World list
- Designated a Best Employer in 2018 by Forbes
- Opened its Wings and LEAD Center, the carrier's world-class operations and training facility
- Employees volunteered nearly 190,000 hours to help causes and organizations that make a positive impact in their communities
- Improved jet fuel efficiency by 32.8 percent on a revenue ton mile2 basis since 2005
- Saved nearly 13 million gallons of fuel in 2018 through the Company's fuel and flight planning initiatives
- Recycled 3,757 tons of material in 2018, an effort that directly reduces the Company's impact on landfills