The 2018 Boeing Pilot & Technician Outlook is an industry forecast of new aviation personnel demand. It is closely tied to projections for new airplane deliveries around the globe. As with personnel demand, the Asia Pacific region leads demand for new commercial airplane deliveries over the next 20 years. Forty percent of all new passenger airplane deliveries in the next 20 years will be delivered to airlines in the Asia Pacific region.
According to the outlook:
- The 20-year demand for new commercial sector pilots in the region remains strong at 240,000. While demand decreased five percent, this was driven by regional trends that indicate a peak in pilot retirements in the first decade of the forecast and a softening of replacement demand in the later years, due to a younger generation entering the pilot ranks long before reaching mandatory retirement age.
- New commercial technician demand decreased five percent to 242,000. This is due to advancements in product development on the 737 MAX, which have resulted in increased maintenance efficiencies. Overall, maintenance hours required over the life of the airplane will be reduced.
- New commercial cabin crew demand increased three percent to 317,000 due to anticipated fleet mix, cabin configuration and regulatory requirements.
For the first time, the outlook included the helicopter and business aviation markets. The inclusion of these sectors increases the region's demand to 261,000 pilots, 257,000 technicians and 321,000 cabin crew.
Leading the region in projected demand for new pilots, technicians and cabin crew:
- China: 128,500 pilots; 126,750 technicians; 147,250 cabin crew
- Southeast Asia: 48,500 pilots; 54,000 technicians; 76,250 cabin crew
- South Asia: 42,750 pilots; 35,000 technicians; 43,250 cabin crew
"Strong demand for pilots in the region continues, and we expect that this will continue for the next several years," said Keith Cooper, vice president of Training & Professional Services for Boeing Global Services. "Through our pilot training solutions, including the Pilot Development Program, we are helping to ensure a pipeline of pilots is ready to meet the industry's demand."
Boeing's Pilot Development program is an accelerated training program intended to guide pilots from early stage ab-initio training through type rating as a first officer.