February 28, 2017
Hong Kong - ACI Asia-Pacific is pleased to announce results of the ACI Asia-Pacific Green Airports Recognition 2017. Airports large and small demonstrate their commitment in achieving outstanding accomplishments in environmental projects.
A total of 16 submissions were received this year. The Panel of Judges concluded that recognition will be given to the following airports:
Airports with 25 million passengers per annum and above:
- Platinum – Kuala Lumpur International Airport
- Gold – Indira Gandhi International Airport
- Silver – Hong Kong International Airport
Airports with less than 25 million passengers per annum:
- Platinum – Darwin International Airport
- Gold – Adelaide Airport
- Silver – Queen Alia International Airport
Mrs. Patti Chau, ACI Asia-Pacific Regional Director said, “I wish to congratulate not only the recognized airports, but all the participated airports because their partaking helps exemplify the spirit of this recognition which is to promote best practices sharing among airports. I would also like to thank the judges for their valuable time and support.”
The Green Airports Recognition was established by ACI Asia-Pacific with the support of ACI Asia-Pacific Regional Environment Committee. The Recognition’s objective is to promote environmental best practices to minimize aviation’s impact on the environment and to recognize ACI Asia-Pacific airport members who have outstanding accomplishments in their environmental projects. Understanding that different airports have different environmental priorities, each year, a specific environmental aspect will be chosen as the recognition theme. This year’s theme is Energy Management.
The submissions were reviewed by the following judges:
- Mr. Christopher Paling, Project Manager – Climate Change, Centre for Aviation, Transport, and the Environment, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Mr. Christopher Surgenor, Editor/Publisher, GreenAir Online
- Ms. Juliana Scavuzzi, Aviation Environmental Specialist, ACI World
- Dr. Panagiotis Karamanos, Aviation Environmental Consultant
- Mrs. Patti Chau, Regional Director, ACI Asia-Pacific
Mr. Christopher Surgenor, Editor/Publisher, GreenAir Online said, “The submissions were all of a particularly high standard and it is heartening that energy management and carbon reduction programmes are in place not only at the larger airports but also at smaller ones. It was interesting to see representation from throughout Asia-Pacific and Middle East and the variety of solutions being implemented. It’s a great start for the Green Airports Recognition.”
Recognized airports are invited to the award presentation ceremony to be held on April 11, 2017 at the ACI Asia-Pacific Regional Assembly to be held in Doha, Qatar.