How individual aviation sector businesses can integrate the SDGs into their long-term planning.
Whilst aviation, the wider mobility sector and all parts of the economy have a vital role to play in helping to deliver the SDGs and build more secure and inclusive societies, there are a range of things that individual businesses can do to take advantage of the framework that the SDGs provides.
The 17 goals can help guide internal thinking on corporate strategy, aligning it with local and national government strategy. Not all aviation partners need to concentrate on the full list of 17 SDGs. Companies should choose the most appropriate SDGs to align with their strategic priorities, whilst also exploring if there are any areas where they are lacking progress.
The SDG Compass helps guide companies on how they can align their strategies as well as measure and manage their contribution to the SDGs. Companies can apply the five steps to set or align their course, depending on where they are on the journey of ensuring that sustainability is an outcome of core business strategy.
- Understanding the SDGs: As a first step, companies are assisted in familiarising themselves with the SDGs.
- Defining priorities: To seize the most important business opportunities presented by the SDGs and reduce risks, companies are encouraged to define their priorities based on an assessment of their positive and negative, current and potential impact on the SDGs across their value chains.
- Setting goals: Goal setting is critical to business success and helps foster shared priorities and better performance across the organisation. By aligning company goals with the SDGs, the leadership can demonstrate its commitment to sustainable development.
- Integrating: Integrating sustainability into the core business and governance, and embedding sustainable development targets across all functions within the company, is key to achieving set goals. To pursue shared objectives or address systemic challenges, companies increasingly engage in partnerships across the value chain, within their sector or with governments and civil society organizations.
- Reporting and communicating: The SDGs enable companies to report information on sustainable development performance using common indicators and a shared set of priorities. The SDG Compass encourages companies to build the SDGs into their communication and reporting with stakeholders.
Not all companies will need to fulfil each and every step, but the SDG Compass provides a simple model for building the principles of the global sustainable development strategy into a corporate strategy. Many of the items outlined in this report will help with an aviation-specific view, although regional and local situations will also need to guide the process.