Air transport supports 24 million jobs and $2.1 trillion in GDP in the OECD.
In 2016, the air transport industry in the OECD directly generated an estimated 5.7 million jobs in in the following sub-sectors:
- Airlines: 1.3 million (22.1% of the total)
- Airport operators: 257,800 (4.5%)
- Other on-airport: 3.2 million (56.1%)
- Civil aerospace: 870,400 (15.4%)
- Air navigation service providers: 109,000 (1.9%)
Including indirect and induced impacts mean the air transport sector supported 15.9 million jobs and contributed $1.5 trillion to GDP in the OECD.
Moreover, substantial benefits derived via the catalytic impacts of tourist spending is estimated to have added 8.1 million to employment and $554.9 billion in GDP.