Air transport supports 9.4 million jobs and $691 billion in GDP in the EU28.
The air transport industry in the EU28 directly generated an estimated 2.0 million jobs in 2016.
- Airlines: 371,300 (18.8% of the total)
- Airport operators: 122,800 (6.2%)
- Other on-airport: 1.2 million (59.2%)
- Civil aerospace: 267,900 (13.6%)
- Air navigation service providers: 43,700 (2.2%)
Including indirect and induced impacts, the air transport sector supported 5.7 million jobs and contributed $453.1 billion to GDP in the EU28.
Moreover, substantial benefits derived via the catalytic impacts of tourist spending is estimated to have added 2.0 million to employment and $237.9 billion in GDP.