Air transport supports 9.4 million jobs and $691 billion in GDP in the EU28. That is 4.1% of all employment and 4.2% of all GDP in European Union countries (EU28) in 2016.
The air transport industry in the EU28 generated an estimated 2 million direct jobs in 2016, of broken down as follows:
- Airline workers: 371,300 (18.8% of the total)
- Airport operators: 122,800 (6.2%)
- Other on-airport roles: 1.2 million (59.2%)
- Civil aerospace jobs: 267,900 (13.6%)
- Air navigation service providers: 43,700 (2.2%)
Including indirect and induced impacts, the air transport sector supported 5.7 million jobs and contributed $453.1 billion to GDP in the EU28.
Moreover, substantial benefits derived from tourist spending has added an estimated 2 million to employment and $237.9 billion in GDP.