Air transport supports 9.8 million jobs and $794 billion in GDP in the EU28. That is 4.2% of all employment and 4.2% of all GDP in European Union countries (EU28) in 2018.
The air transport industry in the EU28 generated an estimated 2 million direct jobs in 2018, of broken down as follows:
- Airline workers: 397,000 (19% of the total)
- Airport operators: 135,000 (7%)
- Other on-airport roles: 1.1 million (56%)
- Civil aerospace jobs: 320,000 (16%)
- Air navigation service providers: 43,000 (2%)
Moreover, the operations of businesses within the air transport sector directly generated a $199 billion contribution to GDP.