Air transport supports 23.9 million jobs and $1.7 trillion in GDP in the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) countries. That is 2.2% of all employment and 3.7% of all GDP in the APEC countries in 2016.
The air transport industry in APEC economies generated an estimated 5.9 million direct jobs in 2016, broken down as follows:
- Airline workers: 1.6 million (27.3% of the total)
- Airport operators: 331,700 (5.6%)
- Other on-airport roles: 3.1 million (52.1%)
- Civil aerospace jobs: 776,600 (13%)
- Air navigation service providers: 115,200 (1.9%)
Including indirect and induced impacts, the air transport sector supported 16.4 million jobs and contributed $1.3 trillion to GDP in APEC.
Substantial benefits derived from tourist spending has added an estimated 16.5 million to employment and $433 billion in GDP.