November 08, 2016
Seattle - The Port of Seattle recognized three airlines for doing their part in being a good neighbor with Fly Quiet Awards. The annual award honors airlines for their efforts in noise reduction and abatement programs at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport for the year 2015.
This year’s top recipients are Southwest Airlines, Virgin America, and Jazz Aviation (operating as Air Canada Express), who were recognized for their work to minimize the impacts of aircraft noise on local communities.
“The Port of Seattle puts a high priority on environmental sustainability and noise reduction programs, so it is a pleasure to award our airline partners for being responsible community members by working to reduce the effects of noise in and around the airport,” said Port of Seattle Commissioner Tom Albro.
Below are the list of award winners and details of their accomplishments.
Fly Quiet Bravo Award – Southwest Airlines
- Their first Fly Quiet Award, quietest airline among five busiest airlines at Sea-Tac.
- Southwest operates an all-Boeing 737 fleet of various models.
- Their noise levels were consistently lower than competing airlines and they did a remarkable job at flying the noise abatement procedures correctly.
Fly Quiet Award – Virgin America
- Awarded to the quietest airline with at least 1,000 annual jet operations at Sea-Tac.
- Virgin America operates a modern fleet of quiet Airbus A320 and A319 aircraft. This is the sixth time Virgin has received a Fly Quiet Award.
- Virgin America continues to be recognized due to their combination of quiet operations and closely following flight procedures and noise reduction measures.
Fly Quiet Regional Airline Award – Jazz Aviation (operating as Air Canada Express)
- Awarded to the quietest regional airline with at least 360 annual jet operations at Sea-Tac.
- Jazz Aviation operates the quiet Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ). This is their sixth award overall, which is the most of any airline since the Fly Quiet Awards began in 2005.
- Successful track record is due in part to operating a fleet of quiet and modern regional jets that adhere to strict noise abatement efforts and near flawless flight procedures.
About the Fly Quiet Awards:
The Fly Quiet Awards were established in 2005 to recognize airlines working to reduce jet noise in the community. Each airline is evaluated on compliance with noise abatement flight patterns, overall noise levels of airline operations and compliance for testing engines on the ground.
Fly Quiet Award criterion consists of three categories:
- Percentage of compliance with Sea-Tac’s Noise Abatement flight procedures/flight paths
- Overall noise levels of the airline’s operations
- Compliance with Sea-Tac’s engine maintenance/testing procedures and run-up restrictions
About Sea-Tac’s Noise Abatement Program
Sea-Tac Airport offers one of the most comprehensive aircraft noise reduction programs in the nation. Sea-Tac works closely with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), airlines and local communities to monitor existing noise programs and develop new ways of reducing airport and aircraft noise. The program has two primary focuses: sound insulation programs and noise abatement programs. Sea-Tac uses a flight tracking system and noise monitors to track airline compliance with noise abatement programs and to investigate public inquiries.