Air transport supports 21.9 million jobs and $1.9 trillion in GDP in the OECD.
The air transport industry in the OECD directly generated an estimated 5.5 million jobs in 2014.
- Airlines: 1.2 million (22% of the total).
- Airport operators: 172,500 (3%).
- Other on-airport: 3.1 million (57%).
- Civil aerospace: 859,000 (16%).
- Air navigation service providers: 106,000 (2%).
Including indirect and induced impacts mean the air transport sector supported 14.4 million jobs and contributed $1.4 trillion to GDP in the OECD.
Moreover, substantial benefits derived via the catalytic impacts of tourist spending is estimated to have added 7.5 million to employment and $555 billion in GDP.